East Grinstead Sports Clubs

In 1989 East Grinstead Cricket Club and East Grinstead Hockey Club merged to create East Grinstead Sports Club. Both clubs had a very long tradition of playing sport in the town but could see the benefits of joining forces to mutual advantage.

With the merger it was possible to sell the Cricket ground at West Street and move up to Saint Hill which the Hockey Club had purchased in the 1950's. The proceeds of the sale were spent on building a new pavilion and Sports Hall, laying an artificial hockey pitch and creating a new cricket square.

As East Grinstead Ladies Hockey Club also played at the old cricket ground they decided to move to Saint Hill and became founder members of the Sports Club. There were already two squash courts at the hockey club site so the merger turned the club into a true multi-sports club.

Further expansion of the Sports Club happened in 1997 when the Felbridge Badminton Club joined.

In 2002 a lottery grant of over 1 million was received towards the 1.7 million total cost of providing a new water-based all-weather hockey pitch, a new fitness suite, a jogging track, new changing facilities, an additional function room and improved office accommodation.